Friday, June 12, 2009

Drake 60 Rappers 60 Days

Drake, or Drizzy; I just found out that the great Vibe magazine is having a series of Rappers that will play an important role, in 2009. 60 days 60 rappers. So I was reading Drake's interview and he has a lot to say about his contract, working with Kanye, and working with Lil Wayne. The Kids about to blow, soon. Just watch he just needs a deal, I mean everyone is waiting for the album. I know I am 

Who doesn’t know who Drake is? Since dropping his uber-successful emo-hop mixtape So Far Gone, last February, Aubrey “Drake” Graham, 22, has been at the top of every label’s wish list. VIBE caught up with Toronto’s favorite rapper turned singer, who revealed how he picks singles, how acting prepared him for the rap game, and why his upcoming debut, Thank Me Later, will top his last mixtape.

VIBE: How do you approach making an album as opposed to a mixtape? 

Drake: It’s like putting a puzzle together. I never make a song and then that night be like, Oh yeah, this is gonna be my single. You got to let people decide that for you. Not necessarily one or two people in a room, but I mean songs can pick up that you would never think would pick up. Like Andre 3000 just shot a video for “Prototype,” you know what I mean? You never know. Anything can be something that people want to listen to. As far as knowing ahead of time, there’s definitely records that are going to give you a special feeling. There are records that are undeniable.


Are you at all overwhelmed by your new fame? 

Ah man, I been doin’ this since I was about 13. 
Degrassi is bigger than what I’m doing right now, it really is. It’s bigger than any Drake, Cudi, Wale, you know, up-and-coming rap shit. Like I was doing mall tours with 15,000 people [attending] where the fire marshall would come and shut the mall down ’cause there was just too many people in there. I was signing autographs for three, four hours, with a half an hour lunch break and then going back for four more hours. I’ve been through that crazy phase. For me, this is what I want. This is what I know I want to do. I don’t have any doubt in my mind like, Okay, I just want to put out one album and say“Fuck it.” I dropped out of high school. I put acting on hold.

Why haven’t you signed to a label yet? 

The situations take time, you know? To get signed overnight, I’m so glad that didn’t happen to me two years ago ’cause I needed those two years to really build on everything—my talent, my image, my life, everything. I needed two more years of being unsigned and sort of figuring things out to really know what I wanted to do. 

I’m not signed to Young Money but definitely Young Money is a family to me. I’m definitely YM affiliated, you know? I have the utmost love for everybody over there, the utmost respect. Mack Maine and Jae Millz, those are like brothers to me, you know? Nicki [Minaj]. Nicki is Nicki. I love her. And now that I’m in this position I’m just trying to get everything all the way straight. In about a week or two it’ll all…it’ll be out there. You know the press release will be out there. It’ll be official. 


Via: Vibe 



No comments:

Post a Comment